Thursday, November 8, 2007

Parting is such sweet sorrow

No, I'm not leaving the library but this is the end of 23 Things for me. Perhaps that is why I drug my feet on finishing the final thing. Perhaps because I've enjoyed the process of exploring, learning, playing that I did not want to leave it. Or maybe I'm just lazy because this wasn't a fun Web 2.0 site to visit but instead required time to put thoughts together.

The process has certainly been a long one. For me it has because I was introduced to this long before the State decided to do anything about this. I took a webinar from SirsiDynix Institute which was given by the Mother of 23 Things (called Learning 2.0 in her library system), Helene Blowers. After "attending" the webinar she gave I was so jazzed about this I called Lew Belfont - "Wouldn't this be great if we could do something like this at Howard County?". Little did I know the State would also be as jazzed about this as I was.

I hope to see this type of training/learning continued. I think it will take some folks time to shift their perception of how to learn (being told vs. exploring) but I think you can learn so much more by at least trying it out first yourself. That is generally how I learn. I am not afraid to ask questions or for help if I need it but I enjoying diving in and seeing how much I can figure out on my own. I think constantly instructing people "do step 1 like this then follow that by step 2 which must be done this way..." they miss a lot by not discovering, fumbling around and getting it right. We learn more from our mistakes than our successes.

I look forward to Learning 2.1 and beyond!

No comments: